Saturday, February 27, 2016

Kevin Morais’s ashes interred in Ipoh columbarium

The ashes of murdered deputy public prosecutor Datuk Kevin Morais was interred in the columbarium at the Church of Our Mother of Perpetual Help in Ipoh, this afternoon. A memorial mass was held earlier at the Church of Our lady of Lourdes in Silibin, which his family regularly went to when they were living in Ipoh. About 300 people attended the mass conducted by the Bishop of Penang Sebastian Francis. Also present were Archishop Emeritus of Kuala Lumpur Tan Sri Murphy Pakiam, retired Federal Court Judge Datuk P.S. Gill, and two of his brothers, Datuk Richard and David. After the mass, Pakiam sprinkled holy water on the urn containing Kevin's ashes, who was cremated on November 23, soon after his body was claimed from the Kuala Lumpur Hospital mortuary where it had been for over a month, while the family sought to get a second post mortem conducted. "It is with a feeling of profound sorrow that we have gathered here this afternoon to mourn the untimely death of Datuk Anthony Kevin Morais," Gill said in his eulogy. "It is all the more painful, particularly for me as the late Kevin Morais, as he was popularly known, worked as my deputy registrar in the High Court at Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur when I was a judge. "When I first met him he was a shy young man, eager to serve and do his duty as a man who was born to serve humanity." Gill also described Kevin as a devout Christian who attended church regularly and practised what was written in the Bible with honesty. Kevin, 55, a bachelor, was the eldest of four boys. His other siblings are Charles, David and Richard.  He was deputy chief of the Appellate and Trial Division in the Attorney-General's Chambers, and had been seconded to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission for a stint. He was conferred Datuk Paduka Mahkota Perak posthumously by the Sultan of Perak Sultan Nazrin Shah last year. Kevin was abducted on September 4 while on his way to work after leaving his home in Menara Duta, Kuala Lumpur, in a government-issued Proton Perdana. The car was found torched in Perak the next day. His body was found on September 16 in a cement-filled oil drum in a secluded area of Subang Jaya, 12 days after he went missing. Seven men, including a doctor, have been charged with murdering and abetting in the Kevin's murder. The case is scheduled to be heard in April. – February 27, 2016.  ]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment