Thursday, February 25, 2016

No assets to declare as I don’t have billions, says Dr Mahathir

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad questioned a call for him to declare his assets, saying he did not have billions in his bank accounts. "While I was prime minister I saved some money because everything else is paid for by the government. "That is all I have. Not billions of dollars. I don't have billions in my personal bank account," the former prime minister told reporters in Kuala Lumpur today when asked to respond to the challenge thrown  by non-governmental organisation Pertubuhan Minda Sosial dan Prihatin (PMSP). Dr Mahathir said he had once rejected a gift of a plot of land and instead bought the land with his own money. "I don't own anything. When I retired, I was given some land but I refused. I paid for the land myself. "All that has been given to me I have returned to the government. I did not take anything. I only have what is within my rights to have," he said. PMSP president Ramesh Rao earlier this week challenged Dr Mahathir to declare all assets, here and abroad, acquired during his 22-year rule of the country. Dr Mahathir retired in 2003. – February 26, 2016.]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment