Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Straight A’s for 9,721 SPM candidates, national average drops

A total of 9,721 candidates obtained excellent results (grade A+, A, A-) in all subjects in the 2015 Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination, but the number fell by 0.25% from 11,289 candidates in 2014. Education director-general Datuk Seri Dr Khair Mohamad Yusof said the index used to indicate the performance of candidates, the National Average Grade (GPN), saw a drop for 2015 by 0.07 to 5.15 compared with 5.08 in 2014. The lower GPN indicates better performance. "The smaller number of candidates who obtained excellent results in all subjects and the drop in GPN is not a significant shortcoming. It is within the permitted range of 3%," he said at a press conference announcing the analysis of the 2015 SPM results today. "It also reflects the fluctuations in student performance. The drop is also indicative of the smaller number of candidates who sat for the 2015 SPM, at 440,682 compared with 455,839 candidates in 2014." Khair said among the factors contributing to the drop in the number of candidates who obtained excellent results and the GPN was the change in the question format. "Now the questions set are tough, testing the students' cognitive ability and require creative thinking, compared with the questions set before," he said. Based on the analysis of the SPM results, the GPN index showed a decline from 4.93 in 2013 to 5.08 (2014) and 5.15 (2015). "I believe each state will carry out an analysis and evaluate whether the teachers' instructional methods were in accordance with the requirements of the curriculum, assessment and the extent to which students had mastered the questions given. "Focus will be on the way teachers instruct and how students study. We will ensure there will be progress," said Khair. Last year, Khair said 346,681 candidates (84.9%) registered for at least six subjects, qualifying for the SPM certificate, with 316,506 candidates (91.3%) from government schools and the remaining 30,175 (8.7%) from other schools. He said the achievement gap for candidates in urban and rural areas had narrowed by 0.05 to 0.50 in 2015 compared with 0.55 in 2014. Seven candidates with special needs obtained excellent results in all the subjects they sat for. One was a blind student, four were visually impaired and two had other disabilities, he said. Khair said the international assessment experts were satisfied with the examination process, examination answer scripts and the meeting to determine the standard of the examination which was implemented with the utmost professionalism and credibility. The assessment experts were from Cambridge International Examinations, United Kingdom, New Zealand Qualifications Authority, New Zealand and Pearson, United Kingdom. – Bernama, March 3, 2016.]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment